Client is currently seeking Entry Level Distribution Engineers to join their team in Florida. These individuals will support power distribution infrastructure upgrades and storm hardening projects across Florida. The initial projects are in support of Duke Energy, with future projects from other utilities.
The work consists of the engineering calculations and design for replacing deteriorated cable, moving overhead lines to underground, reconductoring of existing distribution lines, and replacing aging poles. The engineering calculations associated with these projects include structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, fault currents, and coordination of protective devices.
Job Duties include:
• Conduct site visits and take field notes, including visual inspection, equipment inventory, measurements, sketches, photographs and field conditions. Compare field data to base plan
• Evaluate loading of various equipment components being installed such as transformers and structural loading of poles to ensure a cost-effective, safe and reliable design utilizing client specifications
• Review and interpret design manuals and details from local jurisdictions
• Determine and specify design requirements
• Perform electric distribution designs, using field notes, per the Utility's standards. Design and draft construction drawings using standard engineering fundamentals for approval by Federal, state and local agencies
• Prepare projects and job packages using appropriate software, including material estimates and material requisitions of the materials required for the prepared distribution electrical designs
• Review plans for proposed construction to determine impacts to the existing distribution systems
• Develop solutions to existing conductor and structural clearance violations and issues
• Developing final design plan packages for the implementation of the proposed solution
• Ensure projects fulfill ISO compliance requirements
• Attend bi-weekly (or more frequently as necessary) meetings with project team on all projects/tasks
• Graduation from a four-year ABET accredited college or university with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering
• Experience or basic knowledge of concepts in the electric utility industry, including primary and secondary distribution systems, utility standards, ability to use design software packages, and general construction knowledge and aptitude
• Understanding of basic engineering theories and principles
• Understanding of basic practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations, and preparing/presenting recommendations
• Ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds
• Good written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate frequently with customers
• MUST have strong interpersonal skills, self-motivation/initiative, and the desire to learn.
Desired Qualifications for Engineers
• Excellent customer service skills and experience preferred
• Experience on the Duke Energy system, performing distribution design
• Experience interacting with customers and developers for distribution projects
• Current knowledge of BOUD/Maximo, Smallworld, and Microstation
• EIT/ Passed Engineering Fundamentals Exam
Actalent connects passion with purpose. Our scalable talent solutions and services capabilities drive value and results and provide the expertise to help our customers achieve more. Every day, our experts around the globe are making an impact. We're supporting critical initiatives in engineering and sciences that advance how companies serve the world. Actalent promotes consultant care and engagement through experiences that enable continuous development. Our people are the difference. Actalent is an operating company of Allegis Group, the global leader in talent solutions.
The company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law.